McGraw-Hill Education, Columbus, Ohio
April 2022 to Present Principal Engineer, Applied AI
Work across MHE portfolios and directly with agile teams to leverage cloud technologies and student
event data to develop reusable, scalable, and extensible core capabilities which deliver competitive
advantages to MHE's products by enhancing student, instructor, administrator, and parental experiences
- Developed dashboards in AWS QuickSight to evaluate student performance risk factors.
- Developed an application to generate images based on a user prompt using OpenAI, AWS Lambda, API Gateway, and NodeJS.
- Developed ETL procedures in Scala on the Databricks platform for cleaning historical data from our event lake and loading into our data lake in an actionable format.
- Developed ETL procedures in Scala on the Databricks platform for loading data from our event lake into neo4j graph database for evaluation of student journeys.
- Tested machine learning models for generating alt-text for images to meet accessibility requirements for learning content.
Skills: Amazon Web Services, QuickSight, Athena, Bedrock, Databricks, Scala, Python, NodeJS, Neo4j
May 2018 to March 2022 Lead Engineer, Platform Engineering
Lead engineer managing database engineering in Oracle, Aurora, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Cassandra,
Elasticsearch, and Google Big Query and supporting cloud strategy, data architecture,
and engineering of platform solutions across enterprise and authoring services.
- Responsible for management of information architecture, data governance, and database engineering.
- Managed the work of DB engineers supporting multiple application teams and services.
- Defined requirements and technical solutions for new platform features and services.
- Lead the development of new platform services.
- Lead the migration of RDS PostgreSQL and RDS MySQL to Aurora PostgreSQL and Aurora MySQL.
- Implemented CI/CD for platform services on AWS using Turbot, Terraform, and CircleCi.
- Migrated multiple RDS instances using AWS Database Migration Service and developed a video presentation to train other teams how to use DMS.
- Supported P1/P2 issues when SME support was required to resolve customer impacting issues; further supported RCA and resolution to prevent further occurrences.
- Tuned SQL queries and schemas for better performance.
- Created views in Google Big Query to feed data analytics.
- Built search services in PostgreSQL and Elasticsearch.
- Built dashboards in Cloudwatch, Sumologic, and New Relic for monitoring of services.
Skills: Amazon Web Services, Aurora, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Elasticsearch, Cloud Migration, Terraform, CircleCI, New Relic, SumoLogic,
Solutions Engineering, Project Management, NodeJS, Scala, Databricks
Halo Communications, Columbus, Ohio
2017 to 2018 Senior Data Architect
Senior data architect and database administrator for secure clinical communication and scheduling platform with 24x7
uptime, HIPAA compliance, and HITRUST security requirements.
- Established strategic road map for stabilizing the platform for current state and future growth.
- Identified and tuned key transactions reducing CPU load and improving response times to create a better user
- Improved response times by up to 72% while managing 252% increase in customer load.
- Migrated primary SQL Server database from single node SQL Server Standard to a three node SQL Server
Enterprise cluster utilizing AlwaysOn Availability Groups and Windows Server Failover Cluster technology.
- Developed new and tuned existing customer facing reports and internal usage analytics.
- Built solutions leveraging cloud technologies on the AWS platform.
- Supported DevOps team by monitoring systems and triaging production issues
- Supported Application teams by developing relational and object data models and data workflows.
- Help mature organization by implementing change control processes, coding standards, code reviews, and
mentoring development teams.
Skills: Amazon Web Services, SQL Server
McGraw-Hill Education, Columbus, Ohio
2013 to 2017 Senior Database
2012 to 2013 Contract Database Engineer
Senior database engineer and architect
for online education platform.
- Provided oversight of key application database as it grew in size from 250G to 2TB on a four node RAC
cluster with utilization of up to 20K concurrent users, over 22M monthly user sessions, and over 11M
- Identified business requirements and downstream technical requirements necessary to meet MVP across
multiple, concurrent projects.
- Guided the enterprise in adopting new industry standards in order to achieve strategic product
- Developed and led a team of database engineers to keep up with growing project commitments and operational
- Developed new logical and physical data structures, including tables, indexes, views, and triggers,
identified caching opportunities, and developed content models to support products built on our digital
- Developed data access and business solutions in Java and Oracle.
- Supported quarterly releases and scheduled point releases.
- Guided the migration from Oracle 10g to Oracle 11g.
- Developed end-to-end solution to record and report on click stream events using AWS services including API
Gateway, Lambda, Kinesis, and Elasticsearch.
- Developed tools for internal operations using Oracle, Java, and AngularJS.
- Provided support to at-risk projects to guide them to on-time completion and improve the performance of key
- Improved performance of critical application components by tuning database code and business processes.
Huntington National Bank, Columbus, Ohio
2010 to 2012 IS Technical Specialist
2008 to 2009 Senior Programmer Analyst
Worthington Industries, Columbus, Ohio
2007 to 2008 Oracle Developer and DBA (Contract)
Nationwide Financial, Columbus, Ohio
2004 to 2007 Oracle Developer (Contract)